- A hobby "is a regular activity that is done for pleasure, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements. By continually participating in a particular hobby, one can acquire substantial skill and knowledge in that area.
Generally speaking, a person who engages in an activity solely for fun is called a 'hobbyist', whereas a 'professional' generally engages in an activity for reward and an 'amateur' (from French for "lover of") does so out of personal interest in an activity. While an amateur may be as skilled as a professional, a professional receives compensation while an amateur generally does not."
- Leisure, or free time, "is time spent away from business, work, domestic chores, and education."
- Inside the life of a hoarder: trauma, loneliness and the secret power of Things by Giovanna Walker
hoarder = someone who stores or stockpiles
- Geocaching "is an outdoor sporting activity in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world."
+ Terminology : "There are various acronyms and words commonly used when discussing geocaching."
Airsoft "is a primarily recreational activity where replica firearms shooting plastic rounds are used for personal collection, gaming (similar to Paintball), or professional training purposes (Military Simulations and Police training exercises).
A primary difference between airsoft firearms and BB guns is that airsoft uses 6mm or 8mm plastic pellets and have muzzle velocities of less than 700 feet per second (FPS), which is generally considered safe when used in a controlled environment..."
- Camping Supplies - "We love these photographs of meticulous still life collages by Jim Golden."
- Hobbies and recreation
- a lesson proposed by Randall S. Davis with :
- a list of commonly-used vocabulary with a recording of the
words in RealMedia format.
- a short quiz to test students' comprehension of some
of the words,
- a Follow-Up exercise for expanding students' use
of the vocabulary in a conversation with a partner or group.
- Kids (toys and hobbies)
Les mots s'affichent quand on passe la souris sur les images. - avec
- Miscellaneous - vocabulary - Use your mouse to see the words - with sound (languageguide.org)
Fads Museum (badfads.com)
"Take a fun and nostalgic look at fashions, collectibles, activities
and events which are cherished by some and ridiculed by others."
- during the '70s
- with interactive
exercises (Alain Krizic)
the Adventure - Outdoor Activities
HIGH ROPES COURSES - BACKPACKING - ROCK CLIMBING - WHITEWATER RAFTING
WHITEWATER CANOEING - MOUNTAIN BIKING - BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATION
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION - GROUP INITIATIVES - Solo Sit - Evening Activities