- STATISTICS :
Report: Worldwide Terrorism at All-Time High - Text + Audio - 6 June 2017
"The Institute for Economics and Peace says the yearly number of terrorism incidents has increased sharply since 2011.
The group set the value of costs related to violence last year at $14.3 trillion.
The index rated Iceland as the most peaceful country and Syria as the least peaceful."
- ACID ATTACKS :
- Man suffers serious injuries in east London acid attack - 21 August 2017
"Eighteen-year-old was reportedly approached in Leyton by moped gang, who sprayed corrosive substance in his face...
There were 455 crimes in London last year where a corrosive substance was used or threatened to be used. The majority – 60% of cases – were assaults, and a quarter involved acid or another chemical being used in street robbery."
- CONFLICTS AROUND THE WORLD :
- METRO EXPLOSION IN RUSSIA :
- Deadly Bombing on St. Petersburg Subway - Text + Audio - 3 April 2017
"A bombing of a subway in St. Petersburg killed 10 and injured dozens. It could have been worse.
Officials said they deactivated a bomb hidden at another St. Petersburg subway station."
- St Petersburg metro explosion kills 11 in Russia - with a video and pictures - 3 April 2017
"Eleven people have been killed and 45 injured in an explosion between two underground stations in St Petersburg."
- CALIFORNIA SHOOTING :
- VIOLENT PROTESTS ON PUBLIC SQUARES :
- The violent history of public squares
"Large urban spaces date back to ancient Greece.
They have always been places for peaceful gatherings and violent protests, Jonathan Glancey writes."
- CRIME MUSEUMS :
- CRIMESTOPPERS :
- FACEBOOK :
- Facebook’s Fight to Block Violent and Hateful Content - Text + Audio + Pictures - 5 June 2017
"Facebook recently said it was hiring an additional 3,000 people to identify and remove violent and hateful content.
But the job is difficult as the social media service gets millions of reports each week and has nearly 2 billion monthly active users."
- MUGGING :
- How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged - 5 November 2013
"The way people move can influence the likelihood of an attack by a stranger.
The good news, though, is that altering it can reduce the chances of being targeted."
- Luxury watch thieves prowl French Riviera
"POLICE on the French Riviera are on the hunt for a gang who have made off with more than a million euros' ($1.2 million) worth of luxury watches, all ripped from the wrists of their wealthy owners...
Among their victims has been a Russian who was robbed of his 550,000-euro "Richard Mille" timepiece as he returned to his Cannes weekend residence in a Bentley, and a Ferrari owner whose watch valued at 70,000 euros was stolen."
- Air Jordan release sparks stampedes at stores across US - 23 December 2011
ARTICLE + VIDEO
"Rowdy scenes have broken out at stores across the US as shoppers jostled to lay their hands on Nike's new shoe."
- MUGSHOTS :
- RICHEST CRIMINALS :
- ROBBERY :
- Metal thieves using Google fo find booty - 3 November 2011
"Metal thieves are scanning railway timetables for engineering disruption to find new stocks of cable to steal, police have said...
Metal theft is a recession crime and as more people lose their jobs, more people are turning to it."
- Woman beats robbers with handbag (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
Supergran speaks to the Chron as four are quizzed over bungled raid on town centre jewellers
"The pensioner who fought off a gang of armed robbers with her handbag has described how she kept hitting out as a hammer was raised to her."
Watch the video : Granny foils Robbery in Northampton - Supergran!