- BETTING :
- US Supreme Court Ends Ban on Sports Betting - Text + Audio + Pictures - 15 May 2018
"The court’s decision permits state officials to pass laws permitting books to open on sports such as football, basketball, baseball and other games.
In the coming months, those officials will also consider where bets can be placed: casinos, horse tracks, betting centers, stadiums, and online."
in GENERAL :
as Social Studies
"Sports are an important part of just about every
society, every country, every part of our planet. In one way
or another, everyone is involved in sports or some sort, whether
they're playing or watching or just know someone who does
either. This article examines sports as social studies and
has some fun along the way."
- GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED:
- BODYBUILDING :
- Determined, Dedicated and Disciplined to Be Fit - Text + Audio + Video + Quiz - 20 July 2016
"Ernestine Shepherd is a fitness trainer and professional model. She is also determined, disciplined and dedicated to staying fit.
The 80-year old holds the 2010 and 2011 title in the Guinness World Records as the World's Oldest Performing Female Bodybuilder."
- BOWLING :
- Bowls: The quintessentially British sport under threat - 5 May 2011
"Britain's bowling greens are under attack, threatened by property developers and cost-cutting councils, prompting MPs to take action. But is bowling a quintessentially British pastime that should be protected?"
- BOXING :
- Floyd Mayweather wins richest fight in boxing history (August 28, 2017) - a lesson plan with AUDIO
"Floyd Mayweather has won what was billed as the fight of the century, and the richest fight in boxing history."
Try the same news story at these easier levels: Boxing - Level 4 or Boxing - Level 5
Make sure you try all of the online activities for this reading and listening - There are dictations, multiple choice, drag and drop activities,
crosswords, hangman, flash cards, matching activities and a whole lot more. Please enjoy :-)
- CLIMBING :
- CYCLING :
- Cyclists Race Across America for Charity - Text + Audio + Pictures - 18 June 2017
"About 270 cyclists are riding about 5,000 kilometers across the country in 12 days to raise money for causes like veterans and cancer. We hear the stories of some of the cyclists in this year’s race."
- French Man Sets Cycling Record at Age 105 - Text + Audio + Videos - 4 January 2017
"Robert Marchand does not let age slow him down. He covered about 23 kilometers in one hour. He is 105 years old."
- JUDO :
- Teddy Riner "(born 7 April 1989 in Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe) is a French judoka.
He's 2.04 m (6 ft 8 in) and 286 lb (130 kg) and has been given the nickames Teddy Bear and Teddy Winner .
At 18 years and 5 months Teddy Riner became the youngest world champion of the history of his sport.
To date, he holds an unmatched record of six world titles obtained in the +100kg, Men's Team and the Open categories .
He is considered as one of the greatest judoka in activity."
- Kite-Flying Gives a Lift to People of All Ages - Text + Audio - 20 May 2018
"Kite-flying has a long history as an activity for adults and children.
The custom of flying a piece of cloth high in the sky began more than 2,000 years ago in China.
Since then, kites have been used to do scientific experiments, power boats, take pictures from the air and much more."