- A telephone, or phone, "is a telecommunications device that permits two or more users to conduct a conversation when they are too far apart to be heard directly. A telephone converts sound, typically and most efficiently the human voice, into electronic signals suitable for transmission via cables or other transmission media over long distances, and replays such signals simultaneously in audible form to its user..."
"A satellite telephone, satellite phone, or satphone is a
mobile phone, but unlike conventional cellular phones, which use cell
sites, it uses orbiting satellites..."
- Happy slapping "is a fad originating in the UK in which one or more people attack a victim for the purpose of recording the assault (commonly with a camera phone or a smartphone). Though the term usually refers to relatively minor acts of violence such as hitting or slapping the victim, more serious crimes such as the manslaughter of a pensioner and sexual assault have been classified as "happy slapping" by the BBC."
- Mobile phone vocabulary :
||– the area where your mobile phone can be used
||– money to make calls on a pre-paid phone service
||– when money is automatically taken out of your bank account
||– mobile phone hardware
||– nternet on a mobile phone
| monthly contract
||– the contract you sign when you use a service plan
||– a service you pay for before you use it
||– signal strength
||– a company that provides the connection for your mobile phone
||– a monthly contract that charges calls at a set rate and sometimes gives you a certain amount of free calls.
||– the small plastic card that enables your phone to connect to the service provider
||– a mobile phone with many extra functions
||– a message of up to 160 characters sent from a mobile phone (also called SMS)
||– a ticket to add credit to your mobile phone
- Cell phones - Vocabulary
- Sodcasting "is described by The Urban Dictionary as "The act of playing music through the speaker on a mobile phone, usually on public transport.
Commonly practised by young people wearing polyester, branded sportswear with dubious musical taste."
- International Spelling Alphabet
"There are several spelling alphabets in use in international radiotelephony. The most widely used spelling alphabet is the NATO phonetic alphabet, which is also used in aviation like in communication between a pilot and the control tower."
- An episode of a television drama series condensed and broadcast to cellular phones.
- An episode of content (fiction or non-fiction) that has been created to be viewed with a cellular phone, or over the internet. Usually between 30 seconds and five minutes in length.
English - The Phrases
"There are a number of phrases and idioms that
are only used when telephoning."
- with Practical Exercises: Exercises to Improve Your
Role Plays: Role Play Dialogue Cues to Practice Telephoning
the phone - list of phrases
(trans-late-it) is simple to use!
"Just type in your SMS or TXT lingo and let transL8it! convert
it to plain english OR type in a phrase in english and convert it to