- WEBOPEDIA - Dictionary for Computer and Internet Technology Definitions (webopedia.com)
- NetLingo "is an online dictionary about the Internet.
It contains thousands of words and definitions that describe the technology
and community of the World Wide Web."
Codes and Internet Domains (lists
- INITIALISMS :
- FLAMING :
- Flaming "is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity.
It can also be the swapping of insults back and forth or with many groups teaming up on a single victim.
Flaming usually occurs in the social context of an Internet forum, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), Usenet, by e-mail, game servers such as Xbox Live or PlayStation Network, and on video-sharing websites such as YouTube. It is frequently the result of the discussion of heated real-world issues such as politics, religion, and philosophy, or of issues that polarize sub-populations, but can also be provoked by seemingly trivial differences.
Deliberate flaming, as opposed to flaming as a result of emotional discussions, is carried out by individuals known as flamers,
who are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation.
In a modern Internet lexicon this term has been almost entirely superseded by trolling."
- CLOUD COMPUTING :
- Cloud computing "is an example of computing in which dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources are provided as a service over the Internet.
Users need not have knowledge of, expertise in, or control over the technology infrastructure in the "cloud" that supports them..."
"The act of avoiding work and/or other responsibilities by scouring the internet in search of games or other non-work related amusements."
- GEEK vs. NERD :
- GOOGLE HACKING :
- Google hacking "is a term that refers to the art of creating complex search
engine queries in order to filter through large amounts of search
results for information
related to computer security..."
- HACKER :
- INTERNET TROLL :
- News Words: Troll
"Watch this week's News Words to learn about an internet troll."
- An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, "is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."
- ISSUE TRACKING SYSTEM :
"An issue tracking system (also called trouble ticket system or
incident ticket system) is a computer software package that manages
and maintains lists of issues, as needed by an organization...
An issue tracking system often also contains a knowledge base containing
information on each customer..."
- PHISHING :
"In the field of computer security, phishing is the criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication."
- POKE / POKING ON FACEBOOK :
- Meaning of Poke on Facebook (hellogiri.com)
- "A “poke” is basically someone trying to get your attention
- It’s one of the meaningless features that are used just to annoy someone
- If you poke someone not in your network and they poke back, you can view their profile even if you're not their friend!
- A poke is when you allow someone to see your Facebook page for 3 days, so they can know who you are and hopefully add you as a friend."
- Shannon D. Jackson: Woman Arrested For Facebook "Poke"
"Poking" someone on Facebook may sound like a naughty double-entendre, but generally speaking it's a perfectly harmless
(and totally G-rated) way of getting in touch with an online pal."
Shannon "was arrested for allegedly violating an order of protection."
- TWITTER :
- Twitter "is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other users' updates known as tweets."
- WILFING :