- Myanmar Businesses Support Rebuilding Rakhine State - Text + Audio + Pictures - 27 January 2018
"Myanmar’s business leaders are supporting Aung San Suu Kyi’s plan to resettle Rohingya refugees and to rebuild Rakhine State.
Last August, Rohingya militant attacks on the police caused a military response that sent more than 650,000 Rohingya fleeing into Bangladesh."
- Rise in migrant arrivals to Italy raises fears over Libyan lawlessness - 25 January 2018
"Possibility of elections in Libya this autumn is increasing tensions between military leader in east and UN-recognised government in Tripoli."
+ World news
+ Migration crisis: the new routes to Europe
- Bangladesh to Send Rohingya Back to Myanmar - Text + Audio + Pictures - 16 January 2018
"Officials from Myanmar and Bangladesh have agreed on a plan to send large numbers of refugees back to Myanmar.
The refugees, Rohingya Muslims, fled to Bangladesh last year to escape a military operation in Rakhine state."
- Rohingya crisis: Bangladesh and Myanmar agree repatriation timeframe - 16 January 2018
"Bangladesh says it has agreed a timeframe with Myanmar for repatriating hundreds of thousands of Rohingya who fled an army crackdown last year...
Myanmar has agreed to accept 1,500 Rohingya every week, Bangladesh says, adding that it aims to return all of them to Myanmar within two years."
+ Bangladesh upholds Rohingya marriage ban
+ Seeing through the official story in Myanmar
+ Is refugee crisis 'textbook ethnic cleansing'?
+ Is refugee crisis 'textbook ethnic cleansing'?
+ Could Aung San Suu Kyi face Rohingya genocide charges?
+ Video: Rohingya Muslims displaced from Tula Toli village in Rakhine State gave disturbing accounts to BBC Newsnight
(Contains upsetting scenes)
- Disease Spreading Among Rohingya at Refugee Camp - Text + Audio + Pictures - 13 January 2018
"More than 200 mobile vaccination teams have given about 900,000 doses of oral cholera vaccine to the refugees.
However, another contagious bacterial infection, diphtheria, has appeared."
- Migrants drown in year's 'first shipwreck' - 7 January 2018
"A dinghy carrying people attempting to reach Europe has sunk off the coast of Libya.
The Italian Coastguard said they rescued 84 people from the partly-submerged dinghy, in international waters about 40 miles from Libya. But several bodies were also recovered."
- 'I love Rome, but Rome doesn't love us': the city's new migrant crisis - with pictures - 19 February 2018
"Italy’s refugee crisis has reached its peak in Rome, where thousands of migrants are being evicted from squatting in the city’s abandoned buildings"
- UK under pressure over Afghan asylum seekers amid civilian deaths - 19 February 2018
"Home Office guidance recognises Afghanistan to be ‘least peaceful country in world after Syria’."
- 'I knew I had to get out' of DR Congo - 17 February 2018
"The crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo has produced millions of refugees, more than Syria, Yemen or Iraq.
Last month 20,000 people fled to neighbouring Uganda where many families are still left separated."
DR Congo crisis: On Kasai's hunger road - VIDEO - 12 December 2017
"Fergal Keane reveals the crisis along a road in the Democratic Republic of Congo that threatens hundreds of thousands.
Nearly half a million severely malnourished children are at risk of starvation in the country's Kasai region.
The UN has just declared the crisis in DRC as the highest level of emergency - the same as Yemen, Syria and Iraq."
- Refugees find new roots through the power of gardening - with pictures - 20 March 2018
"After escaping the horrors of war and persecution in countries like Syria, Iran and Eritrea, refugees and asylum seekers are using the healing power of gardening in Tyneside."
- Syrian Refugee Baby Gets Life-saving Surgery, Others Wait - Text + Audio + Pictures - 18 March 2018
"Jordan used to help pay for Syrian refugees' medical care. But that was stopped in February. Now, a special committee of doctors reviews hundreds of cases each month and decides which one to help."
- At least six dead after suspected people-smuggling boat sinks off Greek coast - 17 March 2018
"Search and rescue operation under way in eastern Aegean to locate survivors of vessel carrying estimated 21 people"
- MPs back refugee family reunification bill - 16 March 2018
"Government is likely to block proposals, saying they could put people in danger"
- Madrid migrants clash with police after death of street vendor - 15 March 2018
"Protesters set fires and throw stones in Lavapies district of the Spanish capital"
- 'I fear Myanmar, I don't want to go home': Rohingya in Bangladesh – in pictures - 15 March 2018
"Refugees from Myanmar continue to arrive daily at the 20 rapidly expanding camps around Cox’s Bazar.
With makeshift shelters perched precariously on slopes, aid agencies fear land slides could cause a catastrophic loss of life when the cyclone season begins.
Refugees in Balukhali camp speak of their dreams for the future and the horror that drove them to leave."
- Myanmar willing to take back fewer than 400 Rohingya refugees - 15 March 2018
"Of list of 8,000 people submitted by Bangladesh government, Myanmar deems only 374 eligible for repatriation"
- UN officials point finger at Myanmar for 'crimes under international law' - 13 March 2018
"Human rights rapporteur says evidence about atrocities against Rohingya people must be collected and presented to international criminal court...
Yanghee Lee, the UN human rights rapporteur on Myanmar, says the government must be held accountable for the fate of the Rohingya."
- Sick Venezuelans Flee to Colombia as Refugee Crisis Worsens - Text + Audio - 11 March 2018
"As Venezuela's economic crisis worsens, rising numbers of people are fleeing overseas.
Independent groups say as many as 3 million to 4 million Venezuelans have left their homeland in recent years.
Several hundred thousand reportedly left in 2017 alone."
- Refugee Women Get a Taste of Starting a Business - Text + Audio + Video - 3 March 2018