- Refugee women and children 'beaten, raped and starved in Libyan hellholes' - 28 February 2017
"Militia-run detention centres in Libya are ‘no more than forced labour camps and makeshift prisons’, Unicef says."
- Libya exposed as an epicentre for migrant child abuse - 28 February 2017
"The United Nations has warned that large numbers of children are still risking their lives to make the dangerous journey from Libya to Italy...
In its new report, Unicef says many children suffer from violence and sexual abuse at the hands of smugglers and traffickers.
But they rarely report their abuse, for fear of arrest and deportation.
The agency also says there is a lack of food, water and medical care in Libya's detention centres."
+ Italy a haven from killings and kidnaps
+ 'Push' factor drives migrants to Europe
- African Immigration to US Keeps Rising - Text + Audio - 21 February 2017
- Bodies of at least 74 migrants wash ashore in western Libya - 21 February 2017
"Red Crescent says circumstances surrounding the drowning off Mediterranean coast of Zawiya are not yet clear."
- The global waiting room: displaced migrants headed to US in limbo in Tijuana
"Families fleeing violence in Latin America and migrants from outside of it make up an unprecedented crisis of homeless people
stranded just outside the US."
+ Outside in America: learn more about our ongoing homelessness project by Rory Carroll in Tijuana
- Syrian refugees in Canada's north: 'It’s not warm in weather, but warm in emotions.' - 20 February 2017
"In communities such as Yellowknife, the temperature can sink to -40C, a dramatic change for refugees who had ‘never experienced anything like it’."
- The migrant slave trade is booming in Libya. Why is the world ignoring it? Ross Kemp - 20 February 2017
"I’ve seen the dangerous route to Europe through Libya, with thousands of people at the mercy of cruelty for profit.
But our leaders prefer to keep them there."
- Home Office agrees to review asylum claims of child refugees in France - 19 February 2017
"Cases of children with direct family links to UK will be reconsidered, as refugees return to Calais to try to cross Channel."
- Immigrants flee US for Canada – in pictures - 16 February 2017
"Migrants are fleeing the US for Canada, making the journey through snow and ice to seek refugee status in the country.
Reuters photographer Christinna Muschi documented some of them as they crossed the border from the US into Hemmingford in Quebec."
- Hundreds of migrants storm fence to reach Spanish enclave of Ceuta - 17 February 2017
"Several hundred migrants have stormed a six-metre (20 ft) security fence that separates Morocco from Ceuta, a Spanish territory in North Africa.
Police said security cameras showed around 600 migrants, some with shears and clubs, breaking through one of the gates.
More than 300 reportedly made it across the razor wire barrier."
- Canada arrests nearly 70 asylum seekers at US border following Trump travel ban - 13 February 2017
- Refugee claimants braved extreme cold to reach Quebec and Manitoba
Uncertainty over migrants’ status in US puts pressure on bilateral pact
- UN accused of failing Afghan refugees 'forced' to return home from Pakistan - 13 February 2017
"UNHCR cites behind-scenes advocacy after rights group claims it has left Afghan refugees at risk of persecution by failing to condemn ‘campaign of abuse’."
- Women and children ‘endure rape, beatings and abuse’ inside Dunkirk’s refugee camp - 12 February 2017
"The fate of those stranded by the UK’s decision to limit taking child refugees from France."
- Refugees crossing into Canada from US on foot despite freezing temperatures - 7 February 2017
"Uncertainty caused by Trump’s policies has pushed asylum seekers to take long, risky routes that in one case cost two Ghanian men several fingers to frostbite."
- Thousands of refugees fleeing conflict destitute in UK, says Red Cross - 2 February 2017
"Almost 15,000 people sought charity’s help with food, housing or money in 2016 – up from 11,000 in 2014."
- Four migrants arrested by border agents at medical aid station in Arizona
- Humanitarian group: ‘Undoubtedly people will die as a result of this action’
- Migrants in Italy: building a life in Europe – in pictures - 16 June 2017
"More than 180,000 people were rescued from the Mediterranean and taken to Italy in 2016.
Photographer Cesar Dezfuli captures the daily lives of migrants in the town of Biella."
- Refugees Feel at Home in Maryland Apartment Complex - Text + Audio + Pictures - 15 June 2017
"For many, the apartment complex is their first permanent home after many years of living in refugee camps and temporary housing."
- A woman’s world for South Sudanese refugees - 13 juin 2017
"An estimated 86% of the more than 900,000 South Sudanese refugees in Uganda are women and children, says the UN."
- Child refugees held in 'harrowing' conditions across south-east Asia - 13 June 2017
"Report reveals young people detained in cells 24 hours a day without enough food or proper access to healthcare, often forced to sleep on the floor."
- World’s First Solar-Powered Refugee Camp Opens in Jordan - 6 June 2017
"The world’s first solar-powered refugee camp opened in Jordan in the middle of May.
The Azraq camp provides electricity for shelters housing about 20,000 Syrian refugees."
- Far right raises £50,000 to target boats on refugee rescue missions in Med - 04 June 2017
"Aid charities have saved more than 6,000 from drowning this year. Now anti-Islam ‘Identitarians’ are crowdfunding to pay for vessels to chase them down."
- A life removed: Central African Republic refugees in Cameroon – in pictures - 1 June 2017
"Violence in Central African Republic has driven 274,000 people into neighbouring Cameroon, seeking shelter in camps like Mbilé.
Yet funding for the crisis is drying up, leaving refugees struggling to find enough to eat."