- Refugee women and children 'beaten, raped and starved in Libyan hellholes' - 28 February 2017
"Militia-run detention centres in Libya are ‘no more than forced labour camps and makeshift prisons’, Unicef says."
- Libya exposed as an epicentre for migrant child abuse - 28 February 2017
"The United Nations has warned that large numbers of children are still risking their lives to make the dangerous journey from Libya to Italy...
In its new report, Unicef says many children suffer from violence and sexual abuse at the hands of smugglers and traffickers.
But they rarely report their abuse, for fear of arrest and deportation.
The agency also says there is a lack of food, water and medical care in Libya's detention centres."
+ Italy a haven from killings and kidnaps
+ 'Push' factor drives migrants to Europe
- African Immigration to US Keeps Rising - Text + Audio - 21 February 2017
- Bodies of at least 74 migrants wash ashore in western Libya - 21 February 2017
"Red Crescent says circumstances surrounding the drowning off Mediterranean coast of Zawiya are not yet clear."
- The global waiting room: displaced migrants headed to US in limbo in Tijuana
"Families fleeing violence in Latin America and migrants from outside of it make up an unprecedented crisis of homeless people
stranded just outside the US."
+ Outside in America: learn more about our ongoing homelessness project by Rory Carroll in Tijuana
- Syrian refugees in Canada's north: 'It’s not warm in weather, but warm in emotions.' - 20 February 2017
"In communities such as Yellowknife, the temperature can sink to -40C, a dramatic change for refugees who had ‘never experienced anything like it’."
- The migrant slave trade is booming in Libya. Why is the world ignoring it? Ross Kemp - 20 February 2017
"I’ve seen the dangerous route to Europe through Libya, with thousands of people at the mercy of cruelty for profit.
But our leaders prefer to keep them there."
- Home Office agrees to review asylum claims of child refugees in France - 19 February 2017
"Cases of children with direct family links to UK will be reconsidered, as refugees return to Calais to try to cross Channel."
- Immigrants flee US for Canada – in pictures - 16 February 2017
"Migrants are fleeing the US for Canada, making the journey through snow and ice to seek refugee status in the country.
Reuters photographer Christinna Muschi documented some of them as they crossed the border from the US into Hemmingford in Quebec."
- Hundreds of migrants storm fence to reach Spanish enclave of Ceuta - 17 February 2017
"Several hundred migrants have stormed a six-metre (20 ft) security fence that separates Morocco from Ceuta, a Spanish territory in North Africa.
Police said security cameras showed around 600 migrants, some with shears and clubs, breaking through one of the gates.
More than 300 reportedly made it across the razor wire barrier."
- Canada arrests nearly 70 asylum seekers at US border following Trump travel ban - 13 February 2017
- Refugee claimants braved extreme cold to reach Quebec and Manitoba
Uncertainty over migrants’ status in US puts pressure on bilateral pact
- UN accused of failing Afghan refugees 'forced' to return home from Pakistan - 13 February 2017
"UNHCR cites behind-scenes advocacy after rights group claims it has left Afghan refugees at risk of persecution by failing to condemn ‘campaign of abuse’."
- Women and children ‘endure rape, beatings and abuse’ inside Dunkirk’s refugee camp - 12 February 2017
"The fate of those stranded by the UK’s decision to limit taking child refugees from France."
- Refugees crossing into Canada from US on foot despite freezing temperatures - 7 February 2017
"Uncertainty caused by Trump’s policies has pushed asylum seekers to take long, risky routes that in one case cost two Ghanian men several fingers to frostbite."
- Thousands of refugees fleeing conflict destitute in UK, says Red Cross - 2 February 2017
"Almost 15,000 people sought charity’s help with food, housing or money in 2016 – up from 11,000 in 2014."
- Berliners get an appetite for refugees’ cuisine - 16 April 2017
"Restaurant and cooking groups whose food is served by refugees are part of projects in Berlin using meals to build bridges between Berliners and recent immigrants."
- Uganda Welcomes Refugees with 'Progressive Policies' - Text + Audio + Video - 13 April 2017
"Uganda Is the World’s Most Welcoming Country for Refugees.
Its liberal refugee policy offers newcomers economic opportunity, shelter and freedom of movement."
- EU migrants make up 11% of manufacturing workforce - ONS - 13 April 2017
"EU migrants make up more than one in 10 manufacturing sector workers in the UK, official figures have shown.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also said EU workers from outside the UK tended to work longer hours than the workforce average."
- US Will Send 4,000 Somalis Back to Their Home Country - Text + Audio - 11 April 2017
"Somalia’s ambassador to the United States says his embassy has learned that U.S. immigration officers plan to deport about 4,000 Somali nationals. Ahmed Isse Awad is the Somali ambassador to the U.S. He spoke to the Voice of America’s Somali service on Saturday."
- French camp reduced to "heap of ashes" - VIDEO - 11 April 2017
"The blaze at Grand Scythe camp started after a fight between migrants, say officials."
- Migrants from west Africa being ‘sold in Libyan slave markets’ - 10 April 2017
"UN migration agency says selling of people is rife in African nation that has slid into violent chaos since overthrow of Gaddafi."