- Germany migrants: Record number opt to leave - most to Balkans - 28 December 2016
"A record 55,000 migrants left Germany voluntarily this year - more than twice the number deported."
- Small US Town Prepares to Welcome Syrian Refugees - Text + Audio + Pictures + Video - 21 December 2016
"Not everyone in the town of 16,000 people supports the mayor’s decision to bring 100 refugees into the town every year."
- There are still 1,000 children from Calais in refugee centres. They need sanctuary - 19 December 2016
"Kindertransport was the inspiration for Safe Passage, which has forced open the legal family reunification system so refugee children can reach their families in the UK safely."
- Guardian and Observer readers raise over £500,000 for child refugees - 16 December 2016
"Money will go to three charities working with child refugees in continental Europe and UK: Help Refugees, Safe Passage and the Children’s Society."
- The Syrian teenagers making a fresh start in the UK - 11 December 2016
"This year’s Christmas appeal is supporting three refugee charities."
- Returning Somali Refugees Rebuild Lives - Text + Audio - 7 December 2016
"Thousands of refugees are returning to cities in Somalia. They spent many years in camps in nearby countries including Kenya.
They are looking for food, shelter and jobs."
- Refugees Improve English Skills While Waiting for Resettlement - Text + Audio - 6 December 2016
"The resettlement process for refugees can take years. While they are waiting, some Hazara refugees in Indonesia are building English language skills to pass the time."
- Net migration stays near record high - 1 December 2016
"Net migration has stayed near record levels, standing at 335,000 in the year to June, the Office for National Statistics has said.
There was also a record number of EU citizens coming to live in Britain with the figure standing at 284,000."
- Long wait for families to identify missing migrants - 31 August 2016
"Human rights researchers are warning of a "devastating" lack of information for families of migrants thought to have drowned in the Mediterranean."
- Thousands of migrants rescued off Libya - Article + Photos + Video - 30 August 2016
"About 6,500 migrants have been rescued off Libya, the Italian coastguard says, in one of the biggest operations of its kind to date."
- Dramatic photos show refugees fleeing Libya being rescued at sea + Video - 30 August 2016
"Images of rescue operation in the Mediterranean capture plight of those desperate to reach Europe."
- 'They couldn't wait ... they jumped' - VIDEO - 30 August 2016
"Laura Lanuza, from charity Proactiva Open Arms, describes the scene as thousands of migrants were rescued from boats near the Libyan coast."
- Greece rescues dozens of people after migrant boat runs aground - 19 August 2016
"Arrivals in last 24 hours brings official count of refugees and migrants stranded in Greece to just over 58,000...
Those now arriving on Greek islands from Turkey face deportation back to Turkey unless they successfully apply for asylum in Greece.
While the deal has limited the flow, people still arrive and around 11,000 are stranded on a handful of eastern Aegean islands, most housed in overcrowded detention camps."
- Brazil Welcomes Refugees - Text + Audio + Video - 18 August 2016
"Before Europe began accepting people fleeing conflict in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, Brazil was one of the few countries that would give Syrians and Palestinians a visa. Since 2013, thousands have arrived."
- Australia to close Manus Island asylum centre - 17 August 2016
"Australia has agreed to close a controversial asylum-seeker detention centre in Papua New Guinea (PNG)...
Asylum seekers currently held on Manus Island could be moved to a facility in the Pacific nation of Nauru."
- Migrant crisis: Greek islands see rising numbers in camps - 17 August 2016
"Save the Children says the number of migrants arriving in the Greek islands has nearly doubled in recent weeks, putting pressure on overcrowded camps."
- Russian city of Novosibirsk bars migrants from many jobs - 15 August 2016
"Foreigners in Russia's vast Novosibirsk region in Siberia will no longer be able to work as schoolteachers, bus or taxi drivers, timber merchants, lawyers or accountants under a new ruling.
The ban, imposed by Novosibirsk governor Vladimir Gorodetsky, must be enforced over the next three months."
- US May Reach Goal of Accepting 10,000 Syrian Refugees - Text + Audio - 7 August 2016
"After a slow start, the program is working to bring the Syrians to the United States by September 30. Half of the refugees will be younger than 14."
- The specially created refugee team who will compete at the Games for the first time received a huge ovation, as did the hosts - 6 August 2016
- Danish police seize valuables from asylum seekers for first time - 30 June 2016
"Cash seized from five Iranians under law that allows police to confiscate property to cover costs of their accommodation."
- Migrants die as dinghy sinks off Libya - 30 June 2016
"At least 10 people drowned and more than 100 others were rescued when an inflatable boat carrying migrants capsized 32km (20 miles) off Libya."
+ MAP: Migrant shipwrecks Jan 2014 - April 2016
- Kenya Hosts Refugee Olympic Athletes - Text + Audio + Video - 27 June 2016
"When the Olympics begin in August, there will be a team of refugees competing together.
They will walk into the opening ceremony carrying the Olympic flag. Some of them are training in Kenya."
- UNICEF: Increase in Refugee Children Fleeing to Europe - Text + Audio - 26 June 2016
"An increase of children – many traveling alone – are attempting to escape to Europe, the United Nations Children’s Fund reports.
Many of those children tell of violence, starvation and other dangers they faced along the way."
- Obama migrant plan fails to pass supreme court - Article + Videos - 23 June 2016
"The Supreme Court has announced it is split on President Barack Obama’s plan to shield millions of undocumented immigrants living illegally in the US."
- Syrian Youth Perform at Refugee Camp - Text + Audio + Video - 21 June 2016
"They are young people who have fled the war in Syria with their families. They recently sang and danced in a talent show in the large Arbat refugee camp in the Kurdistan area of northern Iraq."
- Abused and publicly flogged: the UK child migrants sent for a better life in Australia - 16 June 2016
- Niger says 34 migrants found dead in Sahara Desert - 16 June 2016
"Niger says the bodies of 34 migrants, including 20 children, have been found in the Sahara Desert near the border with Algeria...
Interior Minister Bazoum Mohammed said it appeared they had died of thirst after being abandoned by their smuggler."
- Obama Short on Goal for 10,000 Syrian Refugees - Text + Audio - 15 June 2016
"President Barack Obama set a goal of the United States accepting 10,000 Syrian refugees by October 1. But the process has been slowed
– in part because of political opposition and also because of the time it takes to complete security investigations and health exams."
- Thousands of children travelling alone from Africa to Europe, says Unicef - 14 June 2016
"UN agency says nine out of 10 refugee and migrant children seeking help in Europe via Italy are unaccompanied, and warns they face ‘appalling’ risks...
The children rely on human traffickers, often under a “pay as you go system”, making them prone to exploitation and abuse including rape, forced labour, beatings and death, Unicef said."
- The fear and feuds driving Albanians to the Kent coast - 4 June 2016
"Some come ashore in dinghies, others swim in from boats. England’s smaller ports are seeing swelling numbers of migrants, especially Albanians."
- Migrant smuggling gangs are becoming more 'professional' and posing a bigger threat to Britain's borders, Europol chief warns - 4 June 2016
- Migrant crisis: Rescue under way from capsized boat off Crete - 3 June 2016
"About 250 people have been rescued from a migrant boat that has capsized in the Mediterranean sea, Greek officials say."
- Britain's border weakspots: The areas identified by criminal gangs smuggling hundreds of migrants into the UK - 2 June 2016
- Article + Photos + Videos
"Criminal gangs are using more than a dozen ports on Britain’s coastline to smuggle hundreds of migrants into the UK."
- 'They are falling apart': the fate of lone children in Calais' refugee camp - 29 April 2016
"As the UK vacillates over admitting unaccompanied minors, boys as young as 10 make their own nightly efforts to get in."
- Migrant crisis: Stranded in Greece - 28 April 2016
"There has been a dramatic reduction in the number of migrants arriving in Greece since an agreement between Turkey and the EU came into force...
With Europe's borders closed, more than 50,000 migrants remain in Greece waiting for a decision about their futures. "
- Migrant Crisis: Changing attitudes of a German city - Article + Videos - 28 April 2016
""When the first refugees arrived here in Oberhausen we had a big welcome culture, this has calmed down,
"says Joerg Fischer, manager of a Red Cross refugee transit camp in Oberhausen in Germany."
- Papua New Guinea to shut Australia's Manus Island migrant camp - 27 April 2016
- Labour says 'fight will go on' after Tories vote down child refugee plan - 26 April 2016
"Government defeats immigration bill amendment that would have let 3,000 unaccompanied Syrian minors enter UK."
- PNG court rules Australia's Manus detention centre unconstitutional - 26 April 2016
"Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court has ruled that the detention of asylum seekers and refugees on Manus Island is unconstitutional...
Currently around 850 men are held on the island, around half of whom have been judged genuine refugees."
- Migrant crisis: EU-Turkey deal is 'working' - Article + Photos + Videos - 24 April 2016
"Last month's EU-Turkey deal on tackling the migrant flow has begun to produce results, a top EU official has said."
- Hundreds feared dead in migrant shipwreck off Libya - 20 April 2016
"Up to 500 people may have drowned after overloaded boat sank in Mediterranean."
- Migrant crisis: Hundreds dead after capsize, say survivors - 18 April 2016
- Life on Lesbos: residents tell us what it's really like - 16 April 2016
"For many, the Greek island brings to mind the refugee crisis, but another everyday life exists behind the headlines."
- Migrant crisis: Pope returns from Greece with 12 migrants - 16 April 2016
"Pope Francis has taken 12 Syrian migrants back with him to the Vatican after visiting a camp on the Greek island of Lesbos."
- Nowhere to run: Burundi violence follows escapees across borders - 15 April 2016
"Attackers are entering refugee camps in Tanzania and other neighbouring countries to hunt down opponents and their relatives."
- Thousands of refugees flee for Turkish border after surprise Isis attack - 14 April 2016
"Syrian refugees flee after camps are overrun by Isis but find themselves being shot at by Turkish border troops."
- Eurozone crisis 'pushing migrants to UK' - 13 April 2016
"The Eurozone jobs crisis is encouraging more southern European migrants to head to the UK to join those from the east, the Migration Observatory has said."
- 'We are the forgotten people': the anguish of Australia's 'invisible' asylum seekers - Article + Video - 13 April 2016
"Nearly 29,000 asylum seekers are in Australia on temporary ‘bridging visas’. These people may be free from detention but
– with many denied education, healthcare and the right to work – they remain locked in desperate poverty and with no idea
what their futures hold. A Guardian Australia investigation."
- Number of migrants spotted crossing Turkey-Bulgaria border falls 20% - 13 April 2016
"Statistics from Bulgaria’s interior ministry will surprise experts in wake of tightening of Greece-Macedonia border and EU-Turkey deal."
- Human rights groups sound alarm over safe zones for Syrian refugees - 12 April 2016
"Areas established for geopolitical goals may put refugees in danger, aid workers and rights groups warn."
- Bulgaria announces investigations into several ‘migrant hunters’ - 12 April 2016
"Government to search for further vigilantes targeting refugees after arrest of wrestler Dinko Valev, following claims it was turning a blind eye to assaults."
- Almost 6,000 refugee children went missing last year, says Germany - 12 April 2016
"Interior ministry figures highlight growing concerns that criminals are preying on young people arriving in Europe."
- Sanctuary or ghetto? How Mannheim created a 'city within a city' for refugees - 11 April 2016
- Bulgarian vigilantes filmed tying up migrants - 11 April 2016
"Amateur video shot in Bulgaria shows vigilantes arresting three migrants and tying their hands behind their backs as they lie on the ground in a wood.
One of the vigilantes tells them: "No Bulgaria - go back [to] Turkey...
Bulgaria has erected a razor-wire fence along 95km (59 miles) of its 269-km border with Turkey."
- Migrant crisis: Germany sees huge fall in asylum claims - Article + Photos + Video - 8 April 2016
"Germany has seen a slump in the number of people arriving to seek asylum, weeks after several Balkan states tightened their borders, figures show."
+ Migrants await fate on Lesbos
+ The crisis in seven charts
- Mexico tortures migrants – and citizens – in effort to slow Central American surge - 4 April 2016
"A growing number of indigenous Mexicans are being detained by agents looking for Central American migrants, amid a crackdown driven partly by aid from US."
- Bewildered migrants await fate on Lesbos - Photos + Video - 3 April 2016
"Migrants taken to camps complain they are "treated like animals"...
Every day this week has brought hundreds more migrants across the Aegean sea to the Greek shore."
- Australia asylum: Children held on mainland freed - 3 April 2016
"Refugee activists protest in Brisbane against detention camps."
- Migrant crisis: Eight injured in clashes at Piraeus camp near Athens - 1 April 2016
"Afghans and Syrians are said to have taken part in the three-hour brawl there, where thousands of people live in filthy conditions."
- Turkey 'illegally returning Syrian refugees' - Amnesty - 1 April 2016
- Mexico turning child migrants back to face violence in Central America - 31 March 2016
"A new Human Rights Watch report says thousands of vulnerable minors, many fleeing violent gangs, are being sent back,
with only 1% granted refugee status."
- Austrian border plan risks turning South Tyrol into emblem of EU disintegration - 31 March 2016
"Region once seen as a symbol of Europe’s peaceful cohesion braces for Austrian effort to contain migration crisis."
- British public must be told truth about immigration figures ahead of EU referendum, says watchdog - 30 March 2016
SEE Migration to the UK in 2015
- Canadian priest claims to have gambled away funds earmarked for Iraqi refugees - 30 March 2016
- Bulgaria's vigilante migrant 'hunter' - 30 March 2016
"A Bulgarian trader in spare parts for buses has become a national celebrity after starting to patrol the Turkish border "hunting" for migrants.
Many Bulgarians applaud his vigilante initiative, though others are deeply troubled."
- UK is failing to take 'fair share' of Syrian refugees, says Oxfam - 29 March 2016
"UK and other wealthy nations have resettled less than 2% of those escaping the bloody conflict, says charity."
- Far-right German politician thanks refugees for rescue - 22 March 2016
"A far-right German politician has been rescued by refugees after he crashed his car in a tree, German media report."
- Migrant crisis: Amnesty hits out at EU over Turkey deal - Article + Video - 19 March 2016
"Amnesty International has accused European leaders of "double speak" over a deal to return migrants to Turkey."
- Migrant crisis: Turkey and EU leaders close in on deal - 18 March 2016
"European Union negotiators and Turkey have agreed a draft deal over the migrant crisis, which must now be approved by the 28 EU leaders.
Under the scheme, migrants arriving in Greece after midnight Sunday will be sent back to Turkey if their asylum claim is rejected.
In return, EU countries will resettle thousands of migrants from Turkey."
- ‘In Iraq I would have died quickly. Here I feel I am dying, but very slowly’ - 18 March 2016
"Millennial refugees explain how their lives have been changed by conflict."
- Migrant crisis: 'Many issues' in way of EU-Turkey deal - Article + Video - 17 March 2016
- Refugees and migrants return to Idomeni camp on Greek border, in pictures - 17 March 2016
- Angelina Jolie mobbed by media on Greece migrant trip - VIDEO - 16 March 2016
- EU migrant crisis: Hunting for migrants high above sea - VIDEO - 16 March 2016
- Turkey deal is only way to stop migrants arriving in Europe, warns Angela Merkel - 16 March 2016
"Germany will not offer Ankara a fast-track to EU membership but the country's help is necessary to solve the refugee crisis."
- EU prepares to scale back resettlement of Syrian refugees - 16 March 2016
- The obstacles to Europe's migrant plan with Turkey - 9 March 2016
- Migrant crisis: Slovenia moves to 'shut down' Balkans route - 9 March 2016
- Swedish government struggling over migrant crisis - 3 March 2016
- Refugees in Kurdish Iraq return to Syria - VIDEO - 3 March 2016
- EU's Tusk warns illegal economic migrants: Do not come here - Article + Video - 3 March 2016
"European Council President Donald Tusk has warned illegal economic migrants against coming to Europe, during a new push to solve the EU migrant crisis."
- ‘Solidarity with my sisters’: the campaign to change the lives of refugee women - 2 March 2016
"The plight of female refugees doesn’t always end when they get to the UK. Ahead of International Women’s Day, 99 women are showing their support."
- Rio 2016: Refugee team to compete at Olympics - 2 March 2016
- EU migrant crisis: Calais 'Jungle' clearance work resumes - Article + Video - 1 March 2016
- Migrant crisis: UN says Europe is 'on cusp of self-induced crisis' - 1 March 2016
- French police arrive back in Calais 'Jungle' - VIDEO - 1 March 2016