- Is it true Coca-Cola once contained cocaine? (straightdope.com)
"There is a rumor that cocaine was once an ingredient in the cola.
This turns out to have been true, but cocaine was removed in the early years in the 20th century.
Coca Cola now uses "spent" coca leaves to extract its coca fluid extract that does not contain the active ingredient that makes people high."
"When the beverage debuted in Atlanta-area pharmacies owned by friends of Pemberton, marketers pronounced it "a shot in the arm"-- while Pemberton himself hailed it as a cure for cure pain, impotence and headaches." (news.yahoo.com)
- For His Son (1912) - a short film - Director: D.W. Griffith
"A father, anxious for his son's financial well being, develops a special soda pop called Dopokoke which is laced with cocaine...
Loosely based on the allegations that the Coca-Cola company and other soft drink manufacturers laced their soda with dope."
- The History of Coca Cola (inventors.about.com)
- Coke's secret formula gets closer to the public - December 8, 2011
"In honor of the company's 125th anniversary, the formula was moved to a new home in the World of Coca-Cola ... in Atlanta where a new exhibit titled The Vault of the Secret Formula will be on display beginning Thursday..."
+ a video
INTERACTIVE ACTIVITIES :
LESSON PLANS :
- Coca Cola changes recipe after online petition (May 09, 2014) - a lesson plan with AUDIO
"The Coca-Cola Company, the world's largest beverage maker, is amending the recipe to several of its drinks following an online petition."