BACK TO :
(Updated on 06/10/2013)
- Sandy asks new climate change questions (1st November, 2012) - a lesson plan with AUDIO
"Hurricane Sandy killed at least 62 people and caused billions of dollars of damage to America's east coast.
Water from the superstorm, which hit on Tuesday night, has flooded subways and tunnels in New York City and cut off electricity to millions of homes."
- Hurricane Sandy: The Superstorm - PHOTOS (boston.com)
- Reuters Video: New York grinds to a halt after Sandy + TRANSCRIPT + LINKS (englishblog.com)
- Teaching Hurricane Sandy: Ideas and Resources by THE LEARNING NETWORK(learning.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Sandy: New York devastation mapped - Clickable
"Super-storm Sandy has devastated parts of the US east coast, leading President Barack Obama to declare a "major disaster" in New York state.
New York, the country's most populous city, is among the worst-hit, with floodwaters swamping the subway system, flooding low-lying streets and wiping out power. Explore the map of New York below to see some of the worst of the damage."
- In pictures: Storm Sandy's impact on US East Coast (BBC)
- Words in the News: Frankenstorm
"Hurricane Sandy, dubbed 'Frankenstorm', is the top story in the 'i'." Full story >>
+ VOCABULARY + NOTE + LINKS
- Hurricane Sandy - a slideshow (slideshow.nbcnews.com)
- Hurricane Sandy in Photos (theatlantic.com)
- Photos: Sandy's destructive path (edition.cnn.com)
- The Frankenstorm Floods This Morning's Front Pages (slate.com)
- Storm Sandy causes severe flooding in eastern US - 30 October 2012 + VIDEO
"'Super-storm' Sandy has swept into the eastern US coast, bringing severe flooding and claiming at least 13 lives...
An estimated 50 million people could be affected, with up to one million ordered to evacuate homes.
At least five million people are without electricity."
- Hurricane Sandy 'largest storm recorded in Atlantic' - 29 October 2012
"Why they're calling Sandy 'Frankenstorm'."
- Animated guide : Hurricanes - The destructive power of hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones
and Tornadoes - Teaching Theme :
Resource Materials - Downloads - Sites For Background Information
- Hands On Activities -
Web Quests - Interactive Sites For Students - Worksheets - Lesson
- Hurricane! - Cartoons (cagle.com)
- Tornadoes Crush Mobile Homes in South US - Text + Audio - 24 February 2016
"Tornadoes destroyed mobile homes, killed at least three and left a trail of death and destruction from New Orleans to Mississippi Tuesday."
- Texas tornadoes: Eleven killed in Dallas area - Article + Photos + Videos - 27 December 2015
"Eleven people have been killed in tornadoes in Texas, police say, with heavy rain and snow causing deaths and disruption in a number of other states."
- Tornadoes in Arkansas and Texas - 12 May 2015
"Tornadoes kill at least 5 in Arkansas, Texas as winds of 125 mph and above wreak havoc in four states.
Meg Wagner (New York Daily News)"
- US tornadoes: Aerial footage shows Texas devastation - 11 May 2015
"A severe storm has rolled through the southern US, killing at least five people and leaving more than 43 injured.
Homes were flattened as a tornado ripped through Van, Texas. This aerial footage shows the extent of the damage."
PHILIPPINES TYPHOON :
- 700,000 Evacuated as Typhoon Hits Philippines - Text + Audio - 14 December 2015
"Typhoon Melor reaches land in Philippines and citizens brace for more rain this week.
Up to 700,000 residents left the Albay province over worries of landslides.
Flights were cancelled and hundreds of fishing boats ordered to stay home.
Two years ago, more than 7,000 were killed by Typhoon Haiyan."