DISASTERS WORLDWIDE :
- OROVILLE DAM, in California:
- Oroville Dam risk: Thousands ordered to evacuate homes - with pictures and videos - 13 February 2017
"More than 180,000 people in northern California have been told to evacuate their homes after both overflow channels
at the tallest dam in the US were found to be damaged."
- CHINA EXPLOSIONS:
- 104 Dead in Chinese Port of Tianjin, Evacuation Ordered - Text + Audio - 15 August 2015
"Hundreds of people remain hospitalized after Wednesday's blast at a chemical storage center.
News reports said sodium cyanide, which can be deadly, was discovered east of the site.
A team of military nuclear and biochemical specialists continues to search the area."
- China explosions: Potent chemical mix behind Tianjin blasts - Article + Photos + Video - 15 August 2015
- China Tianjin blasts: Evacuations as sodium cyanide found - Article + Photots + Video - 15 August 2015
"The Chinese authorities have ordered the evacuation of residents within a 3km radius of the Tianjin blast site over fears of chemical contamination."
- Explosions in China Kill At Least 50 People - Text + Audio - 14 August 2015
"The blasts in the northeastern port city of Tianjin also injured about 700.
Officials and state media say at least 12 of those who died were firefighters.
The explosion was so large it could be seen by satellites in space.
One witness said, 'When everyone else ran, I just followed everyone else.' "
Disasters Worldwide - with a map (Miami Museum of
Disasters (stories, events and images) :
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill - The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 - San Francisco
Earthquake (1906) - Billion Dollar U.S. Weather Disasters 1980-2000
Encyclopedia Titanica - Hurricane Andrew - San Francisco Earthquake
(1989) - Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster Report
- Natural Disaster Hot Zones
"Want to know where you should live if you are hoping to avoid the next catastrophic earthquake, flood, megavolcano, or storm?"
BEFORE AND DURING THE DISASTER :
- HOW TO PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR A NATURAL DISASTER - an infographic
"NATURAL DISASTERS CAN BE DANGEROUS AND EXPENSIVE. ACCORDING TO THE UNITED NATIONS OFFICE FOR DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (UNISDR), NATURAL DISASTERS HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR $1.7 TRILLION IN DAMAGE FROM 2000 TO 2012 ACROSS
THE WORLD. THESE SAME NATURAL DISASTERS HAVE AFFECTED 2.9 BILLION PEOPLE, RESULTING IN 1.2 MILLION FATALITIES."
- 'The Story of an Eyewitness' by Jack London - Text + Audio + Video - 14 August 2015
"It is April 18, 1906. The largest earthquake San Francisco has ever seen hits.
Collier's magazine sends the famous American writer, Jack London, to report on the destruction and great loss of life.
He describes the panic, a firestorm, and the flight of the city's people to escape.
'The Story of an Eyewitness' by Jack London - Video with the text - 14 August 2015
- Swedish couple have honeymoon from hell (telegraph.co.uk)
"Stefan and Erika Svanstrom of Stockholm have had an eventful honeymoon.
So far, they’ve endured a snowstorm in Munich, Germany, a cyclone that struck Cairns, Australia, the floods of Brisbane, Australia, the wildfires in Perth, Australia, the earthquake that hit Christchurch, New Zealand, and then the earthquake in Japan." (Neatorama)
21 Of The Worst Movie Set Disasters In History
11 Memorable Firefighters in Movies
- Twister "is a 1989 American comedy film...
Based on Mary Robison's 1981 novel Oh!, the film relates the story of the eccentric Cleveland family during the event of a tornado's hitting their rural Kansas home."